When you are planning a beach vacation, probably the last thing you want to worry about are bug bites. Nobody really thinks about biting flies when they are dreaming about sitting on a sun-soaked beach with their toes in the warm sand. Yet, sand flies, fleas, no-see-ums and even an obnoxious mosquito or two are very likely swarming around a beach at certain times of the day and certain seasons of the year. In order to enjoy your vacation, here here’s how to deal with these pests and what repellent add to your beach must haves.
Table of Contents
- What repels biting flies?
- 7 Best Insect Repellent for Beach Flies
- Cutter Backwoods Dry Insect Repellent
- OFF! Family Care Insect and Mosquito Repellent for The Beach
- Avon SKIN-SO-SOFT Bug Guard Plus Insect Repellent Moisturizing Lotion
- No Natz Mosquito and Biting Flies Repellent
- Ultrathon 34% DEET Repellent for Biting Flies
- REPEL Plant-Based Lemon Eucalyptus Insect Repellent
- Sawyer Products 20% Picaridin Insect Repellent
What repels biting flies?
There are all kinds of bug repellents. Some contain chemicals as active ingredients, while natural versions are also available.
Commercial bug sprays typically contain DEET, picaridin or IR3535. Till today, still these ingredients seem to be the most effective, so consider buying such products if you want to keep biting flies away at the beach. However, they are not recommended for kids under 2 years old and for those who have sensitive skin.
If are looking for a repellent for biting flies that is natural, look for products that include oil of lemon eucalyptus, citronella, lemongrass or geranium extract.
Everyone gets different results with different products, so trust only your personal experience when deciding what is the best brand for you. Also, don’t forget to do a patch test before you spray all your body to avoid allergic reactions. To help you decide what the best insect repellent for beach flies is, check out the following top-list.
7 Best Insect Repellent for Beach Flies
Cutter Backwoods Dry Insect Repellent
This product repels literally any biting insect that would come after you on the beach, including the flightless sand flies that think your toes and ankles are tasty. It isn’t oily and it immediately forms a powdery soft coating on your skin. If sprayed on clothes, it washes out easily so that your beach clothes don’t have that bug spray smell.
- up to 10 hours protection with 25% DEET
- effective against mosquitos, gnats, biting flies, no-see-ums and ticks
- sweat-resistant, non-oily formula
This dry aerosol contains 25% DEET as the active ingredient makes the Cutter Backwoods a highly effective product. On top of this, it is sweat-proof too and has a long-lasting effect so make sure to have a look at it when looking for the best repellent for biting flies at the beach.
OFF! Family Care Insect and Mosquito Repellent for The Beach
Much like the Cutter product above, this OFF! product is also not greasy. It contains compressed cornstarch, which is perfectly safe to use and leaves a dry touch. This is very comfortable when at the beach and prevents sand sticking to your skin. The aerosol formula allows easy and quick application, no matter what outdoor activity you plan.
- powder-dry formula with 15% DEET
- long-lasting protection from biting flies, mosquitos, chiggers, gnats, fleas and ticks
- excellent for any outdoor usage at the beach, while sports or when relaxing in the backyard
DEET is also the main active ingredient here (15%), and it is effective against all biting insects, including those that prefer the beach to deep woods and jungles. When you apply this OFF! Repellent, it forms a barrier on your skin that prevents mosquitos, biting flies and fleas from landing on it and biting.
Avon SKIN-SO-SOFT Bug Guard Plus Insect Repellent Moisturizing Lotion
If you are tired of applying separate products for bug repellent and sunscreen, try this Avon product. The Skin-So-Soft line has been around for over forty years and is a tried and trusted product for many generations.
- keeps biting insects at bay and helps prevent sunburn
- reliable protection with IR3535
- non-oily, water resistant, leaves skin smooth and fresh smelling
It goes on easily like a skin lotion, defends against harmful rays with an SPF of 30, is waterproof, good for the whole family, and defeats biting insects better than slapping and swatting them.
If that isn’t reason enough to try this product, the fact that it keeps skin moisturized in the hot sun is just one more reason to try it. Should you prefer a spray formula with the same great benefits, check out the Avon Skin-So-Soft Bug Guard Plus .
No Natz Mosquito and Biting Flies Repellent
If you want to try a completely hypoallergenic, non-greasy and totally all-natural repellent, try No Natz. Six different essential oils known to deflect a wide variety of biting pests go into making this spray. It also has a lovely relaxing smell.
- hand-crafted formula with rosemary, lemongrass, citronella, geranium, olive and coconut oil
- smells good and really works
- hypoallergenic and pet-friendly
Despite natural oils being the main ingredients, it is not greasy at all. Best of all, if you spray it on the kids or the family dog, it will not hurt them if they accidentally lick or ingest any of it. No Natz is an excellent choice if you are wondering how to keep sand flies away at the beach the natural way.
Ultrathon 34% DEET Repellent for Biting Flies
The most powerful concentration of DEET is in this product, so it is the best repellent for biting flies at the beach, bar none. It can go all day with no reapplication, and it protects against more biting insects than any other repellent.
- superb protection against ticks, biting flies, gnats, chiggers, fleas and mosquitos with 34% DEET
- time-release technology, continuous shield of protection
- stable formula that lasts up to 5 years
The Ultrathon Bug Repellent is ideal for beaches that may be located near swampy areas, like coastal beaches in Florida, Mississippi, Alabama, Texas, etc.. It also boasts a technologically advanced formula that is time-released, which is why you don’t need to reapply it all day long.
REPEL Plant-Based Lemon Eucalyptus Insect Repellent
If you would prefer an all-natural repellent, this REPEL product is for you. It isn’t greasy or sticky, and it smells wonderful because it is made from the lemon eucalyptus plant, the only plant-based ingredient that is recommended against mosquitos.
- no DEET product made with lemon eucalyptus oil only plant-based active ingredient
- creates a barrier on your skin that repels mosquitos
- with pleasant, refreshing scent
The REPEL DEET-free repellent is one of the safest products to use on children and even on infants. It will protect you and your family for up to six hours while you are enjoying your favorite outdoor activities.
Sawyer Products 20% Picaridin Insect Repellent
Another unusual repellent, Sawyer’s Picaridin repellent uses bugs’ natural aversion to pepper, specifically black pepper. While you might expect to smell like a roasting spiced meat after applying this, it may surprise you to learn that the picaridin is a synthetic extraction of black pepper, leaving this repellent with zero smell.
- long-lasting protection against ticks, mosquitoes, chiggers, gnats and flies
- fragrance-free repellent with 20% Picaridin
- quick drying, comfortable wear on skin, does not damage clothing or personal belongings
It is safe for everyone and dries quickly after spraying. When applied to everything from shoes to backpack, it forms an invisible shield that makes biting insects think you are an inanimate object. All biting insects will ignore you because you don’t smell like a meal.
Inspired? Pin it!
When it comes a beach vacation, Vic is the person who certainly has tips on where to go and what to do no matter it is a luxury tropical holiday, peaceful seaside getaway or a family trip to the ocean. She enjoys exploring new places, trying out various water sports and most of all, loves sharing her tips with those seek out their next adventure.
"Disclosure: This article may contain affiliate links. If you decide to make a purchase, I'll make a small commission at no extra cost to you."